Fort Clinch State Park

    Fort Clinch
    Fort Clinch State Park is a major tourist attraction and a historical treasure which draws over 160,000 people a year.  It was begun in 1847 and actually never completed although it was a garrison for Federal troops through 1869 except for a brief period in 1861 when Confederate troops occupied it.
    The Fort itself is remarkably preserved and the 1,121 acre park surrounding it offers a wide array of recreational activities: picnicking, hiking, shelling, saltwater fishing, nature trails, off-road and on-road biking.  It is the only place on the island with camping facilities.
    The first weekend of each month, reenactors dressed in Union uniforms recreate life in the Fort as it was in the 1860s.  For information call the Ranger’s Office 904-277-7274.